Summer and seafood are an awesome combination. This dish was created for a quick and easy camping meal. Because fresh pasta cooks so quickly, it is a terrific option for cooking on portable gas camping stoves- or your cooktop at home!
This dish is a bit of a riff on our ever-loved Cacio e Pepe but replaces some of the parmesan with a hearty helping of Fontina, a cheese that is made for melting and has a velvety texture and creaminess made for adult mac’n’cheese. We also added some cream to help ramp up the creaminess factor even further. Throw in some sautéed shrimp, add some citrusy notes and acidity from lemon zest and lemon juice, and you have an easy and delectable meal.
• 1 9oz package of Dumpling & Strand’s Rustic Durum Egg Strozzapreti (Campanelle and Fusillo shapes also will work well)
• 1 lb fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined, 16-20ct
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1/4 cup heavy cream
• 3 ounces shredded Fontina Cheese
• 2 ounces shredded or grated Parmesan
• 2 tsp lemon juice
• 1/4 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
• 3 Tbsp Italian flat leaf parsley, divided
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Start a large stock pot of 4 qts of water to boil. Add 3 tsp of salt to water
2. While water is heating, heat a skillet to medium-high heat.
3. Add the butter. Once butter has melted and begins to sizzle, add minced garlic to the skillet and cook until translucent and aromatic.
4. Add shrimp to skillet and cook until the shrimp become 1/2 opaque. Take care not to fully cook shrimp at this point.
5. Once the water is up to a VIGOROUS ROLLING BOIL, drop noodles into boiling water. Boil noodles for :30 less than the directions indicate, then drain reserving 2-3 tbsp of boil water.
6. Add noodles to the skillet, and toss with shrimp, butter, and garlic.
7. Add heavy cream to skillet.
8. Add fontina and parmesan slowly while stirring and tossing pasta and shrimp. Add reserved water from boiling in small but even increments to create a creamy sauce.
9. Add 2tbsp parsley, grated lemon zest and salt to taste.
10. Immediately remove skillet from heat and continually toss the noodles and sauce, making sure that the cheese and water become emulsified and cling to the noodles.
11. Sprinkle lemon juice on top of pasta to taste.
12. Add fresh cracked pepper, and 1 tbsp chopped parsley to garnish.
13. Serve immediately from skillet. And always share with family and friends! And bears.